Monday, April 30, 2012

Operation Meat vs. Veggie: First Night-Four Stars

Okay...so tonight I made the Brussel Sprout & Mushroom Alfredo Fettuccine...

Just as I finished cooking it up, and started serving my hubby commented, "So it's a veggie dish then hey?"

I cracked up laughing...okay, so this dish is not going to pull the wool over his eyes. Fair enough.

So despite the fact that it was meatless, he said during the meal " the combo of brussel sprouts and mushroom is actually quite good". YES! That's right-he liked the brussel sprouts. Okay, in all fairness it's not that he hates them to begin with, he just doesn't love them the way I do, and wouldn't choose them.

Then, with a few mouth fulls to go, and a few extra servings sitting in the pan, he sat back and said "wow-I'm actually really full, I'll just finish up the veggies here".

A full man is a happy man.

Final verdict on this new recipe, he says "I'd like to see you make this again."

Cost breakdown...

Mushrooms: .385kg/$2.95
Brussel Sprouts: .255kg/$1.12
Fettuccine Noodles: $2.89
Alfredo Sauce: $4.49

Total for aprox. 3 people--> $11.45  That's just $3.82 a person!

Whoooaaa, okay I am actually shocked at that.

What I could have done better...I actually bought the sauce instead of making it, hard to believe that meal could be cheaper, but it definitely could have had I done that.

What it would have cost with meat--> ~$16.45 or $5.48 a person.

So not a huge savings, but considering everything--I think we'll definitely being doing it again.

The only bummer, Jayna didn't like it, at all...not even pureed. Go figure.

So overall, I'd call that a 4 star dinner!

My recipe (and to be fair-I do a lot of eyeballing, so you'll have to give it your best shot) or find a recipe online-remember, I didn't make the sauce from scratch, but after checking recipes later-it's super easy to do.

Cook up the pasta, while that is going you can start to cut the brussel sprouts into thin slices, add to a hot pan with about a cup of water and let cook up for about 3-5minutes. Then drain water and add about 2 tbsps of butter and sliced mushrooms. Season as necessary. Because I chose a garlic alfredo I just added salt and pepper. When the mushrooms are brown and brussels cooked add in the sauce and turn the temperature down to low, let simmer while the pasta finishes. If you have some fresh herbs-some fresh parsley would be a fabulous touch!





No comments:

Post a Comment